How to prune tomatoes video

Although ths was an old post I am sure many people with find this video very useful as it explains the basics of pruning out your tomato shoots.
  


As my video skills are nothing to write home about, I think that this video from Fine Gardening featuring Lee Reich, make an excellent job of explaining how to prune your indeterminate tomato plants.
The only difference is that I grow mine in the poly-tunnel, supported on crop wires, as opposed to on canes outside. However, the rules are still the same. I think Lee has left some shoots get quite long just to give a better view of the shoots, but it is best to nip them out as early as possible.


Comments

  1. That's handy Steve as I am just looking at ours which don't look half as good as yours I might add! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy
    Mine are nice and cosy in the poly-tunnel which helps, especially as today is like winter.
    Also my early plants were from a nursery, but my own are catching up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog Steve and your kind comment. I know that the flowers drop off on their own, I was just being ridiculously impatient! :) The greenhouse is now filling up with gorgeous little green tomato babies :D I haven't been very good at updating my blog as I've had far to much to do in the garden... haven't we all at this time of year? But I will try and get an entry in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I watched that video. My Japanese Black Trifele tomato I think is a determinate variety. I kept pinching out the side shoots, only to find that I didn't have any leading/growing shoots! This might be the answer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We will not post anonymous comments